Paying for personal home care and available financial support

A Better Day is… knowing Mum or Dad are well cared for and cherished

At Cherish Care we fully understand that the need for personal home care can cause worry about how it will be funded. Below is an overview of the various ways in which care can be funded.

Local Authority funding

Currently, social care – which includes care at home – is not funded like health care in the NHS, so it isn’t free and accessible to everyone. Social care is means tested, which means that you may have to contribute to the cost of your care depending on your income or wealth. You may qualify for council-funded care but whatever your financial circumstances might be, you are entitled to a care assessment from the Local Authority – you will find more information on West Sussex County Council’s website.

NHS Continuing Healthcare funding

Some people are eligible for NHS Continuing Health Care funding, which covers the cost of care outside of an NHS hospital setting. If you are eligible for this funding a health care professional, such as a Community Nurse, can offer advice and carry out an assessment of your needs.


Additionally, there are several benefits available, including Attendance Allowance and Carer’s Allowance.

Attendance Allowance is for anyone aged 65 or over who needs support with personal care. It isn’t means-tested and is based purely on your needs. Carer’s Allowance is available for people who spend more than 35 hours a week caring for someone else. Age UK provides very useful guidance on benefits.

Whether you pay privately, have funding from the Local Authority or NHS, Cherish Care can support you with whatever care you need. If you are concerned about the cost of care, do please call us – we will always do whatever we can to help point you in the right direction for further help and advice.